Monday, April 4, 2011

Like (No) Buttah Chicken

Indian food tonight.  For an appetizer I made Tiger Tiger Plain Puppodums which I purchased at Whole Foods.  You can make them two ways: deep fried in oil or in the microwave.  I am not a fan of putting more than a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet at one time (I can be a klutz) so I opted for the microwave option. 

Just brush a puppodum lightly with oil (I used grapeseed)...






















Then microwave for 45 seconds and POOF!






















They taste like giant potato chips.  I served them with Sharwoods Major Grey Mango Chutney.  I think they would be super fun to make with kids.

For our main meal I made Spice Goddess Bal Arneson's No Butter Chicken:  http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/bals-no-butter-chicken-recipe/index.html.  This is my first time making it and we love it.  Definitely going into the rotation.  As usual, I made a few changes and so I dub this:

Like (No) Buttah Chicken

Ingredients

2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1/2 large red onion, diced
2 tbsp minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp red chile flakes (I made it with 1 full tsp like Bal's recipe and it was a tad too hot)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1-2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into cubes (I used 2 lbs and there was plenty of sauce)
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt (this is a 1/4 cup more than Bal's recipe, I like the added creaminess)
1/4 - 1/2 cup water (I used a 1/2 cup and I would have liked it to a be a little thicker so I would use less)

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is golden. Add the tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin seeds, garam masala, red chile flakes, turmeric, and salt and cook for 2 minutes.
















Add the chicken cubes and stir well to coat. Add the yogurt and water and cook, stirring until the chicken is done. You can tell the chicken is cooked through if you can easily break one of the larger pieces in half with a spoon. 















We ate ours over basmati rice.  Yum!


1 comment:

  1. Looks good! I wonder if the kids would eat it. They would definitely eat the giant potato chip!

    ReplyDelete